During the process of detoxing from drugs or alcohol, there are many side effects and symptoms that a person may experience. One of the more commonly reported symptoms is a headache. Unfortunately, there aren’t any drugs or treatments that can allow you to avoid all those symptoms and side effects fully. However, learning about detox headaches can help you pinpoint some strategies to help alleviate them. It is worth noting that alcohol and drug withdrawal can carry a risk of medical complications. If you or a loved one are trying to detox at home and experiencing severe side effects of any kind, please seek help from a drug and alcohol detox center near you.
What Causes Detox Headaches?
There are a few different ways that detoxing from drugs or alcohol can cause headaches. Some of these are:
- Drastic reduction of sugar intake – Many people do not realize that alcohol transforms into sugar when digested by the body. If you have been drinking heavily for some time, your body may have a hard time adjusting to the lower sugar levels.
- Tension, stress, anxiety, etc. – Detoxing might be difficult, uncomfortable, or stressful. Many people experience stress or tension headaches while detoxing.
- Natural excretion processes in the body – During the detox program, your body is eliminating toxic substances. This process can cause headaches and other physical discomforts in various ways.
- Return to homeostasis – Homeostasis is the term used to describe the normal balance of the body’s systems and processes. When the body has become dependent on a substance and then is suddenly without it, it can take time for the body to re-balance itself. This process can also cause headaches.
How Can I Lessen or Relieve a Detox Headache?
When you’re considering the causes of detox headaches, there are some potential remedies available that might help and provide relief. Of course, if the headache is particularly severe, or if other serious symptoms are happening along with the headache, please seek treatment from a medical professional.
Some remedies that might work to relieve a detox headache are:
- Drink fruit juice or other drinks with natural sugars in them — If the headache is related to a lower sugar intake, giving your body a little extra sugar might help relieve the headache.
- Use some aromatherapy — Lotions or essential oils scented with mint, lavender, or other relaxing scents can help distract the brain from stress and tension. This can help lessen the strength of a tension headache.
- Eat a healthy diet with plenty of protein, fruits, and vegetables — Taking extra care of your body will help it eliminate the toxic substances as efficiently as it can. This might not help the headache at the moment but taking good care of yourself can reduce the length of the headache.
- Drink a soothing warm drink — Some people prefer tea, while others prefer hot chocolate. Regardless, a nice, warm drink that is low in caffeine but high in cozy comfort can be a good way to relax. Some drinks can even release tension or cramping in the internal muscles.
Find Relief at Liberty Health Services
If you or a loved one are struggling with drugs or alcohol and are ready to quit, contact a drug and alcohol detox center or treatment program near you. If you are near Nashua, New Hampshire, reach out to our caring and compassionate staff at Liberty Health Services at 855.959.4521. We are committed to helping our clients and their families heal from the traumas of addiction. They can then rediscover how beautiful the sober life can be. Recovery is possible with the right support and help, so don’t put it off. Contact us today.